Sunday, May 19, 2013

Cambridge: Lovely City...Ugly Birds.


Well...looking back on things I should have known today was not going to be my day...

First off, my roommate and I left the curtains open last night so the sun blinded us this morning around 6:30am and we thought we were late. Fortunately we were able to go back to sleep. When we did wake up, I decided to wear my black long sleeve soccer shirt with jeans...because it's typically been overcast. Of course...today it decides to be absolutely gorgeous!! GRRR 

We took the coach to Cambridge and I fell in love with it right away! Cambridge is basically a city owned by the University. If you aren't familiar with their system it was explained to me as follows: There is one University known as Cambridge within the University there are 31 colleges and you can only apply to one college. If you do not get in, you have to wait a year to apply again or even to apply to a different college. Oxford also works in this manner but you can only either apply to Cambridge or Oxford. I found this to be very interesting! All of the colleges that I was able to see...King's, Queens, Trinity, etc...were absolutely gorgeous!! 

Soo remember how I said this day was not my day...but yet I fell in love with Cambridge...well here's where that part changes. We got there around 10:30am and had until 1pm because that was when our guided tour started. A group of us decided to go on a boat tour. The boats are known as "punts" and are similar to gondolas. Travelling down the river was breathtaking! We were able to see all the colleges and hear about which famous scientist, engineer, etc., went where. Anddddd being a river....there were geese around. and ducks. I can now officially say that seagulls are no longer my arch nemesis...but ducks are! (For those of you that don't know, I'm deathly afraid of birds). Well anywho, this duck comes up to our punt...and I am so very conveniently sitting on the edge close to the water. I don't know what this duck was thinking but all of a sudden he started keeping up with us and was swimming right beside us for a good while. Of course I am leaning in close to the person beside me, freaking out. Everyone thinks it's funny and that I should be taking pictures of the duck and our guide even said that if we were to get in a fight that I would win. HE SHOULD NOT HAVE SAID THAT! Because nearly 2 minutes afterwards the duck starts quacking more and decided to try to jump/fly or whatever into the boat and pecked at my feet while it was flying about and then swam away!!!!!!!! IT WAS SO SCARY! As you can imagine, everyone was laughing...and I started to laugh as well but then it finally set in and I started crying...talk about embarrassing. But it doesn't end there....5 minutes later another bird decides to swoop down by us and flew right over my head, causing me to scream. Our guide mentioned that I seemed to really not like birds but they seemed to love me. haha he then suggested that I switch places with the person I was sitting beside so that I could be in the middle away from all fowl. And if you were to guess that after that no bird came near us, you would be right. It was annoying.

After our (my) dreadful boat tour we had a tour of the city on foot. It wasn't too bad, just that I had to use the restroom the entire two hours and our tour guide was a grumpy old man who would speed walk and wouldn't let anyone stop to use the bathroom. A few of us ended up leaving the group when we had 10 minutes left because we couldn't hold it any longer....needless to say we lost the group and had to venture back to our starting point. Haha it was quite the adventure in Cambridge.

Our final stop was in Madingley at the Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial. We got to see all the tributes to the fallen Americans and watched the flag lowering ceremony. It was interesting to see American things in the UK. 

We made it back to Harlaxton around 6pm and ate dinner. Now we are just relaxing and having another movie night :) We'll see how the movie selection goes tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment